Looking for 2PSI OUTLET pressure LPG regulator for cask ale "breather."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mr. Heater regulator with outlet pressure of 0.5 psig to emulate a cask breather, but suspect I'll be wanting a higher PSI, 2 or so, regulator following comments by @Peebee on perceived "flat beer" and these ubiquitous .5 psi regulators. He gave a brand, but it's a British brand and as far as I can tell, these aren't available in the States. Anyone source the higher, 2psi regulators in the States?

... but it's a British brand ...
Spanish!

The Mr Heater is fixed. Might be 0.5psi? Those style are commonly 0.37mbar over here which I've always found falls a bit short on pressure (it will only half empty an upright Corny, but not a problem with a handpump), but you may find it okay at that? Fixed, so a little bit pricey for a suck-it-and-see buy? It does look like the dreaded "POL" adapter is removeable (will be some effort, they fix them well), but it may be BSP (1/4" or 3/8"), even NPT thread underneath if you're lucky.

I'm sure Clesse (sorry, ...ess. not ...ees...) sell their regulators in the USA ... keep looking! Also, under Novacomet name.

Spanish!

The Mr Heater is fixed. Might be 0.5psi? Those style are commonly 0.37mbar over here which I've always found falls a bit short on pressure (it will only half empty an upright Corny, but not a problem with a handpump), but you may find it okay at that? Fixed, so a little bit pricey for a suck-it-and-see buy? It does look like the dreaded "POL" adapter is removeable (will be some effort, they fix them well), but it may be BSP (1/4" or 3/8"), even NPT thread underneath if you're lucky.

I'm sure Clesse (sorry, ...ess. not ...ees...) sell their regulators in the USA ... keep looking! Also, under Novacomet name.
Thanks for the correction on the Clesse origin. I think it came up on google on several British companies so I thought it was from your neck of the woods, lol. I've looked for a US seller, but so far no luck. I'll keep looking. On the "Mr. Heater," yeah, it was a bit of work to get that adapter off but once I did I was able to make it work. One end is 3/8" NPT and this end is actually 1/2" FPT, IIRC, once the adapter was pulled. I put a 1/2" MPT - 3/8" barb reducer on that end and good to go. Just 0.5 psi, but it's working as it should.

Thanks for the ideas Peebee.

I have been planning to build one, but putting it off. I think the way to do it is use an adjustable reg that maxes out fairly low--I've seen them in hardware stores and Amazon that top out at 10psi. They all have a red knob. I am pretty sure they have 1/8 and 1/4 npt ports, since they all seem to be interchangeable. Add a tee and a Guage that doesn't go so high that you don't have resolution in the 2psi neighborhood and you're in business.

I don't know about these particular regulators, but in general, diaphragm gas regulators (of which these are cheap commercial examples) are accurate to within a percentage of their setting, at or above a percentage of their max setting.

So you want one that maxes out at a low number so it will have resolution at 2psi. A 10psi max would probably be OK. I just saw a 5psi max lp regulator on Amazon. That's the one you want for your faux cask ale, I think. Same with the gauge: get one that maxes out low so you have resolution at 2psi.

Reg

Gauge

Something like those.

I'd thought the adjustable regs were undependable at 2 psi or so?
As @corncob points out, it's the big diaphragm that does the fine control business, not a spring and (sticking) plunger/cylinder (diaphragm makes the regulator look like a flying-saucer).

The LPG ones control easily down to 0.75psi (50mbar) and lower! (my Clesse ones are 20-300mbar, but the commoner 50-150mbar are more than adequate).

Remember they must be used as "secondary" regulators ... They only have a 10BAR (75PSI) input pressure.

Last edited:
Look okay. The small diaphragm suggests it won't be as accurate as a Clesse, but I have no idea if I need the accuracy a Clesse provides. Originally, I was looking for something to fill the gap with "common" regulators that are only reliable down to 7.5 or 10PSI (maybe 5 for particularly good ones). Never found 0-10PSI or I'd be still using them now.

Watch out for claims to be 0-... . They can't be used down to zero! But you do see it a lot. Watch out for folk who believe their ordinary regulator will hold to 5PSI. But with one of those 0-10s you shouldn't be in that fantasy group any longer (and welcome to the group I'm in, where, like me, you can be a right pain-in-the-a...). 😁

I've never come across "FNTP", does the "F" stand for "Fine" NTP thread?

You may have had difficulty finding the Clesse regs (except in UK) 'cos they seem to be mostly used for heaters in sheds raising game birds. There's still plenty of rich clowns in the UK who think it's great sport to blast harmless birds, bred specially. out of the sky (and then bulldoze their bodies into a hole). You may have come across "Brooder" looking at those Clesse jobs ... that's what if means.

Look okay. The small diaphragm suggests it won't be as accurate as a Clesse, but I have no idea if I need the accuracy a Clesse provides. Originally, I was looking for something to fill the gap with "common" regulators that are only reliable down to 7.5 or 10PSI (maybe 5 for particularly good ones). Never found 0-10PSI or I'd be still using them now.

Watch out for claims to be 0-... . They can't be used down to zero! But you do see it a lot. Watch out for folk who believe their ordinary regulator will hold to 5PSI. But with one of those 0-10s you shouldn't be in that fantasy group any longer (and welcome to the group I'm in, where, like me, you can be a right pain-in-the-a...). 😁

I've never come across "FNTP", does the "F" stand for "Fine" NTP thread?

You may have had difficulty finding the Clesse regs (except in UK) 'cos they seem to be mostly used for heaters in sheds raising game birds. There's still plenty of rich clowns in the UK who think it's great sport to blast harmless birds, bred specially. out of the sky (and then bulldoze their bodies into a hole). You may have come across "Brooder" looking at those Clesse jobs ... that's what if means.
Thanks on all counts. Sorry on the FNTP - screwed it up. It's FPT or MPT for female or male pipe thread.

On the game thing, yeah, I hate that, though I'm a hunter (I hunt our northwoods, stalking and tracking over wilderness, with my son). I especially loathe wasting any animal for pleasure - that's sociopathic. We eat everything we kill, with a great amount of respect and gratitude.

I show my ineptitude with all things DIY - but just put a 1/4" NPT tee after the regulator, with the gauge on the "up" , then on to the gas line, right?

Yeah. And mind the point he helpfully brought up about putting this downstream off your main regulator so it doesn't see too much Inlet pressure.

Teflon tape on those threads and check every connection for leaks (I like foaming handsoap for this) before walking away from it.

And don't forget to come back and let us know how it works out.

Sorry on the FNTP - screwed it up.
Don't go looking for your "screw up" ... I read "FNTP" on the Website you linked. "Female", not "fine" ... makes sense.

Hunter? I didn't mention them. The guys I was referring to pay people to scare the birds towards their guns! They don't "hunt" anything.

Gauges to read such low pressure can be tricky. Someone suggested replacement gauges for blood-pressure machines to me. I haven't tried them. They measure in mmHg. The conversion is one you can do in your head: (Tap, tap, "Google", tap, tap) 1psi to 50mmHg.

Don't go looking for your "screw up" ... I read "FNTP" on the Website you linked. "Female", not "fine" ... makes sense.

Hunter? I didn't mention them. The guys I was referring to pay people to scare the birds towards their guns! They don't "hunt" anything.

Gauges to read such low pressure can be tricky. Someone suggested replacement gauges for blood-pressure machines to me. I haven't tried them. They measure in mmHg. The conversion is one you can do in your head: (Tap, tap, "Google", tap, tap) 1psi to 50mmHg.
Hunter - oh we have the same here. Most deer hunters up north "hunt" by putting out bait piles of corn and sitting their asses up in a blind and wait for the deer to walk by, and shoot them. Aside from it being illegal - it encourages deer to crowd together and pass on fatal diseases to each other - we have CWD, or chronic wasting disease - it is killing, not hunting. The problem is bad enough (along with the fact most hunters are unfortunately squarely in the extreme right in our country. I'm the rare breed of moderate leftist who owns guns, shoots well, and hunts the wilds, and have since childhood) that I am not sure my son and I will be returning to the woods any longer.

Thanks on the info.

Forgive the amateur pour and shaky hands, but inaugural pull, a Coniston Bluebird clone. I think another week of condition, but it is promising to be an excellent pint. An aliquot in the same fridge (10F, to more or less confirm FG) is in the following photo.

coniston's aliquot with cullercoats.jpg

I think the sparkler should be at the bottom of the glass as you start to pour/ pull. Let this move up the glass as it fills.
There's a reason for the long neck and sparkler, southern taps have short spout and no or a loose sparkler.
Still a good looking pint though.

I think the sparkler should be at the bottom of the glass as you start to pour/ pull. Let this move up the glass as it fills.
There's a reason for the long neck and sparkler, southern taps have short spout and no or a loose sparkler.
This isn't a sparkler, just the standard spout, "in the style" of the southern pour.

Sorry, on my cell phone waiting to get a thumb stitched up (don't ask) and missed the end of your post. Thanks man. Pleased at this point, going to be a great pint. I'll put the sparkler on tonight, it will be interesting to note any hop qualities coming out. Though at 50F it's not going to be fully conditioned for awhile yet, so expect it will knock the little CO2 out for now.

Sorry, on my cell phone waiting to get a thumb stitched up (don't ask) and missed the end of your post. Thanks man. Pleased at this point, going to be a great pint. I'll put the sparkler on tonight, it will be interesting to note any hop qualities coming out. Though at 50F it's not going to be fully conditioned for awhile yet, so expect it will knock the little CO2 out for now.
Sorry to hear about the thumb, hope they haven't stitched it up too tight. Keep the hand injury elevated at rest, I suggest with pint glass in it.

Wouldn't suggest ice directly either.
I was joking man. You're talking with an old corpsman who as a ******* youngster used to pull wheelchair races down the halls of the ortho ward with his mates on the graveyard shift at Balboa Hospital, or drew his own blood and injected the vacutainer with a surfeit of glucose to send down to the lab inquiring on "Patient _____". Your tax dollars at work. 🤣

Well, I couldn't stand it. I bought a Chinese 5psi adjustable regulator like the one I linked above. The Inlet fitting came out without trouble and it is threaded 1/4npt. The outlet has some kind of nipple cast as one piece with the body and the hose crimps over that. The easy way to go would be to cut the hose short and use a barbed fitting and a hose clamp to attach your tee for the gauge and outlet fitting.

I, of course, cut mine too short while trying in vain to unscrew it. So I'm going to drill it out and tap for 1/8npt, which should just fit.

More to come....

Back