Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
That’s why I bought my car used, with FSD, when it was very limited, meaning I got it for free. :)

When I eventually trade up, if I stick with Tesla, I won’t do it until there’s another FSD transfer period.

Some would be electric vehicle makers have floated battery "subscription" ideas (own the car, lease the battery?), but afaik none has made it to market this way. Then there's the car feature subscription concept.

I'm all about paying for what I get, but I feel more comfortable owning it rather than renting. Possibly irrational...

That would be great if you are correct.
I'm hoping for someone, anyone to do this well and bring with it the huge societal benefits of autonomous vehicles. Not the least of which being cheap rides for me to and from the bar.

One of the reasons I wish it to be Tesla is their tech does not require specially prepared and mapped areas. If Waymo is the winner then where I live we'd be lucky to get the service 5-10 years after all the more popular places were completely covered. And considering the cost of their vehicles probably not exactly cheap either.
Found this on the Waymo public site

Waymo technology video

I'll post more if I can find anything on a public post that's worth noting

Even if only for security related updates, one may not be best served by the (late, lamented) buy-once pay-once model.
The pay-once model does not exclude updates necessarily. That may just be the implementation that the vendor chose. Make no mistake, subscription model is profit driven.

I have a bad feeling that real, and recognized as safe, automated driving systems will probably be software as a service that one pays a monthly fee for. It won't be like Microsoft Office from the 90s where you can say you own it (even though you kinda didn't), it'll be like office 365, which I believe you never really install on your device, you basically rent it, and you just use it through a browser.

Seems I read something a while back that some automakers were either going to start charging at some point for your remote start et al to keep working, or accept their connected vehicle agreement allowing them to track your vehicle/data in exchange for functionality.

I have not followed up to see the current status.

I fully agree with the 'buy it, install it on my PC, and leave me alone unless I want to pull necessary/desirable updates' philosophy. I'm not a personal fan of the SW subscription model, but confess that it is a good model for those software offerings where continued R&D for feature growth is necessary but impossible to achieve with a buy it once as the only revenue generation avenue. But give me the option instead of forcing me to only have subscription available on some SW company's cloud (which may not be there in 5-10 years, even though my business is still alive a running with a significant dependency on the cloud content being usable at all times)

The above said, I'm mixed on the pushed updates model for things like autonomous vehicles and such. I see it from both a personal preference leave me alone perspective, as well as the it's critical that autonomous vehicles are all utilizing the most current safety and performance algorithms so that a rouge driver isn't endangering others simply because they prefer their Win3.11 version of vehicle code that doesn't employ safety communication exchange protocols that other vehicles are dependent upon while driving on the communal highways.

That's been in the works for a while. I kinda wish I held out for it, but my better half wasn't impressed with the ICE version, and I think the AWD BEV is a little more expensive than I was looking for.

Back