Beer yeast in Grape Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
Ok I had some extra dry beer yeast and I was drinking some Welches grape juice and I had the thought to put the yeast in the grape. As if it's not bad enough something told me to put sugar in it and now after 2 days it smells like really strong and alcholly. Would you drink it cause I'm scared

Sure, it won't kill you. Won't taste GREAT but just pretend you're in prison or something. I've made plenty of apple cider the same way...just be aware that without adding some sugar it'll just taste like dry alcohol (assuming the yeast did its work, which it might not have given the preservatives in welchs). Of course with suger, be ready for a hangover!

yes, that's how a lot of people start making wine, they take a juice, or juice concentrate add sugar and yeast, and there you have it. Home made wine!:rockin:
I know with wine, after fermentation, they don't like head space, have some extra juice on hand to top off the carboy. My brother in law typically racks his to a new carboy every month for 6 months before drinking. You can drink it sooner, it just won't be so "high class!"

My theory is if it smells "off" then it probably will taste "off" but who knows, a little sip won't hurt you and if you cannot swallow a small amount then you should not drink it anyway!

I am kind of thinking you stumbled on to the recipe for Thunderbird! lol

Heck, I make wine with grape juice on purpose! I don't use ale yeast, though because the alcohol tolerance isn't as high and wine yeast is good at fermenting simple sugars that are in juice and sugar, but it's pretty tasty stuff.

In your case, you'll probably end up with a sweet alcohol drink, but if you take a gander at my recipe, you'll see it's not too much different!

Oh and ya I know about the ale yeast I wasn't planning on making wine so I used the extra ale yeast I had so your right it probably won't ferment all the sugar so it'll be sweet I can't wait to try it although I might regret it.

Latest posts

Back