co2 tank on craigslist - is it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
Someone on the local craigslist is selling steel 20 lb co2 tanks for $30 which sounds like a good deal. I've emailed for more info but i wanted to find out what i need to know before purchasing. The tanks look somewhat older so i'm not sure if they have been hydrotested recently. If not and it fails is that basically $30 down the drain? If the local welding shop or gas supply has an exhange program do they require the tank to be recently hydrotested and have all its other certifications and would they take a steel tank or only aluminum. Is there anything else i should ask about in a used tank? Thanks.

My local weld supply store took an ancient tank that I bought used and gave me a certified newer one. Even if you had to pay the fee, it would still be a bargain @ $30. They like steel because a lot of people prefer steel to aluminum.

+1, nobody seems to care when you exchange tanks... I swapped a 20+ yr old steel tank for a brand new shiny one, and the guy didn't even flinch....

All the difference from the tanks is a fresh coat of paint and a hydrotest. They do the tests on them every 5 years I believe, and as heavy as they are, I doubt many fail. Then they paint them and fill them.

I took a tank who's hydro expired in the 80's to a shop near me and they wouldn't exchange the tank if it was not originally purchased from them. the guy working the counter told me of another shop a mile down the road who had no problem exchanging it.

I'd jump on that deal, you'll find a shop that will exchange it. Maybe buy two for future expansion.

I agree, if you can get a 20# tank for $30 buy as many as you can... I once found a lady on Craigslist who had evicted a renter from one of her properties and they left behind about a dozen 20# tanks. I only bought one, I think I paid about $50 for it, I regret not buying a bunch more and reselling for some profit. Additionally, this one was definitely out of date on it's hydro test but the guy at the shop didn't even look when I went to exchange... I have since purchased a second tank that was again out of date on it's test, and this time I think it was the owner of the shop who I dealt with and he checked for the test date. Since it was out of date he would only exchange it if I paid an extra $20 or so to have it tested.

I'd buy it.

The airgas in corvallis doesn't care about condition (or at least didn't when I lived there 1 1/2 years ago) - they just swap out and send ya on your merry way.

Back