Drilling through a cooler.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampbrewcrew

Reaction score
I need to make a new mash tun and I have an old 50qt igloo with no drain valve. Has anyone ever tried drilling one of these out?

If you are using a hole saw attached to s drill, put a block of wood (4x4) on the inside butted up against the cooler so you have something solid to drill into for a clean cut

Cut the block to a size that fits into the cooler snug to keep it in place

Another thought...unless you're really tight on $, I'd just buy a cooler with a drain. The reason I say this is that it's really hard to get a hole right. at. the. bottom. You'll likely end up with a fairly large amount of equipment lost with liquid left behind in the cooler.

Many of the Coleman coolers have a drain that's below the level of the cooler floor (fed by trench in teh bottom). This will eliminate pretty much all equipment loss.

They have a 50 Qt one that typically sells for about $29. I'd go that route before I'd modify an existing cooler.

Just a though.

Along with using a wood block to back the cut, I would use a bit sized as close to or slightly under sized for the OD of the nipple. It will help create a tight seal and provide more physical support for turning the ball valve.

since your already drilling into it why not add a second hole for a temp probe.Im guessing no matter what you do RTV silicone is going to be your friend here.

since your already drilling into it why not add a second hole for a temp probe.Im guessing no matter what you do RTV silicone is going to be your friend here.

I did this in my HLT water cooler. Drilled a hole above my valve, used food grade silicone and a rubber stopper with a thermometer in. Works like a charm and has never leaked a drop.

My mash tun cooler is a rectangular with cup holders in the lid. I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom just large enough for the stem of a thermometer. Few small gaskets on each side, sits down in the cup holder a bit and works great.

Back