Filtering Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
This weekend, I attempted to strain my wort from the kettle into primary for the first time. After reading a lot of options, I used a paint strainer bag over a funnel. I use bags for my pellet hops, so that wasn't a problem, but the break material towards the bottom of the kettle very quickly clogged the bag and some break material still got into the primary.

Any advice on better options for this? I am trying to get less junk into the primary with an end result of better quality and clearer beer.

My advice would be to not bother, let it settle in the fermenter. Clear wort to the fermenter doesn't lead to clear beer in the glass.

Ferment it all, then cold crash and use gelatin if you desire, that should get you very clear beer in your glass.

Filtering wort with something that uses small holes is a losing battle. Everyone around here wishes it were possible, but it's not feasible. At the commercial level they centrifuge.

Your best options to remove are:
1. Chill in the kettle, whirl pool, and wait for 30-60 minutes for everything to settle and then rack it out.
2. Transfer everything to a conical fermenter. Let it settle. Drop through bottom port.
3. You can use something like a hop blocker or hop stopper, but beware that they can and do plug, leading to a miserable brew day.

I use a stainless steel colander. Fits right on the fermenter, and I get aerated wort into the bargain. If it gets glopped up I pick it up and swirl it around until all the wort drops.

Back