has anyone tried this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
got an email yesterday from finevinewines who are apparently trying to get into the beer brewing biz as well and are offering these

http://www.finevinewines.com/Z_ProdListMain.asp

apparently it's a no boil? concentrate batch for making beer essentially the same way as wine? just wondering if anyone has had the stones to try one of these.

The Brewhouse Kit is an entirely new concept in homebrewing. Until now, most homemade beer has been made with concentrated malt extract syrup. The Brewhouse Kit produces all-grain microbrew style beer with the convenience of a kit. Brewed from fresh grain and hops, it is pure all-grain wort, made the same way as commercial microbrewed beers. Gentle handling preserves the delicate aromas and flavours. Crisp Pilsner, rich pale ale, malty Munich dark lager, full flavoured cream ale, luscious stout and even an incredibly light North American lager all show brilliant character. Fresh grains make fresh beer: The Brew House Kit is made from 100% grain. The grains are cracked just before brewing and gently steeped in water at our custom designed German-style brew house. After the sweet wort is drawn off, it's carefully boiled with generous amounts of hops. Then, without adding water or concentrate, we aseptically package it for maximum flavour and aroma. The finished beers taste very close to microbrewed equivalents—if those equivalents are well made! These kits are designed to satisfy people with a taste for premium microbrewed beers. Not everyone has the time and equipment necessary to scratch brew from grains, but everyone wants to make the best beer possible. With no boiling—just stirring and careful racking—The Brew House will produce great beer in only three weeks! Remember, the best beer is always the one you made yourself. Each Kit makes 6 US Gallons of beer These are without question the Cadillac of beer kits. They come in a large bag-in-a-box. The trick to these kits is that the wort inside the bag has never been concentrated, so they doesn't suffer from the inevitable flavour changes which come with the concentration process. Did you ever try the new unconcentrated containers of citrus fruit juice? Notice a difference? We sure do, and we far prefer it to concentrate. Well, the same thing applies to beer wort. These are the only type of beer kits that can truly say "no boil". Since the kit's never been concentrated, what you have is wort which has just come from the boiling kettle. They even include a good quality double-sized package of yeast. We can't say enough good about these kits in terms of simplicity and quality. The only downside is it's higher pricetag. But that's a price that we personally are willing to pay.

Interesting, but I ask myself why. Boiling is part of the fun, plus you get to add hops during the process to contribute to the actual brewing when using extract.

This is basically: open the bag, pour in fermenter, add yeast.

Interesting, but I ask myself why. Boiling is part of the fun, plus you get to add hops during the process to contribute to the actual brewing when using extract.

This is basically: open the bag, pour in fermenter, add yeast.

That is a completely bizarre sales pitch. I had the same thought as you... what's the point? These kits don't actually involve brewing anything. Do they really ship you 5 gallons of wort? Geesh... that's got trouble written all over it.

Weird product.

That is a completely bizarre sales pitch. I had the same thought as you... what's the point? These kits don't actually involve brewing anything. Do they really ship you 5 gallons of wort? Geesh... that's got trouble written all over it.

Weird product.

For real. I would laugh in the face of anyone who served that to me and said "I made this".

Those kits are hardly a new thing - I've used them for 'emergency brews' on and off for several years. They concept is the same as kit wines - you dilute a concentrate, add yeast and go. No boil, takes all of 10 minutes, of which most of that sanitizing stuff.

As kits go, they are not bad, but check the expiry date. I had one turn out less-than-great, and it was an expired kit. The quality certainly is not upto par with a decent self-made batch of beer. But if you're in a rush, or new to the hobby, they are a viable option and make perfectly nice beers.

Bryan

Back