How’s my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AkTom

Reaction score
I moved to west Texas. I have a well. The water tastes kind of bland and has soft mouthfeel…
Here’s my Ward’s Lab results.
E1937385-2AF2-47C1-8476-0090B51C049E.png
E1937385-2AF2-47C1-8476-0090B51C049E.png

Might make an interesting soda water as is

When I was a kid in Indiana, our local groundwater was loaded with iron, carbonates, and sulfates. The sulfate content was so bad the water literally stank and boiling it, then cooling it off would yield some nice lime nodules in the pan.
The Old Man decided it was time for a water softener because he got tired of seeing his nice white t-shirts turn orange-red from rust stains. Drinking this sort of "hard" water over time, from the tap and unfiltered, can cause kidney stones. My dad had 'em and I've had 'em, primarily because we were iced tea drinkers for years using the unfiltered well water.
Get yourself a filter Tom, do yourself and your kidneys a favor. Them stones ain't fun, believe me.

Yep... you'll need some water treatment equipment - save room in the basement near where the line for the well water comes through the wall. You'll benefit from running a more thorough test: Drinking Water Test - Buckeye Hydro

Does the water have that rotten egg (hydrogen sulfide) smell?

You could include the bacterial testing option, or your local (county?) health department may do the bacterial testing free of charge.

Brewing water is the least of your worries... we'll need to turn that water into something potable first. You're likely looking at a whole house RO system, with significant pretreatment as well.

Russ

And do not let the authorities see this! The government will condemn that source of water!

Back