Kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgtr42

Reaction score
So I finally got around to getting my induction burner - the IC3500.
I was playing around with it, using one of my old Graniteware kettles, I got about a gallon of water from tap-temp to full rolling boil in just a few minutes. Really impressed.
My question is, would I get even better results if I had a better kettle? Does the grade and amount of steel in the base of the kettle make a difference in how long it takes to get the water (liquor / wort) to temps?
I do want to upgrade anyway, my big one is the 33 qt Graniteware, I want to upgrade to a 40 QT kettle. I'm not planning on going any bigger than 5 - 6 gallons in the forseeable future, so I don't see the need for a 15 or 20 gallon kettle.

With induction burners it really comes down to whether it’s ferrous or non ferrous. If the pot heats up on the burner you’re good to go. Sure there might be some minor differences (ex. Triply heats a little less efficiently on an induction than a single layer with a ferrous bottom).

The other consideration is the induction burner will only heat the metal directly above it. A kettle significantly wider than the burner may not work as well, taller kettles (1.2 height to width ratio) help that.

I use an IC3500 with my 10 gallon Bayou Classic brew pot (triply version) and have had great results.

You can use non 304 grade stainless kettles like the bayou classic (with or without the tri clad bottom actually) or special tricld bottom kettles made for it. also they make plates to go inside the bottom of a kettle for heating. you can test kettles with a magnet.

Back