no bubble activity in Air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knkbrand

Reaction score
I find this very strange, but I am sure someone has a possible explanation. I did two separate brews 2 weeks ago. I had an 6 gal oatmeal stout that I transferred to secondary last week (3 gal carboy and 3 - 1 gal jugs. I did this to add different flavors to the 1 gal jugs). All 4 vessels have visible bubbles rising to the top of each container, but all 4 airlocks show no signs of bubbling. I have tightened all bungs and airlocks, and same thing. The other batch is still in the bucket, so I am not sure what is going on in it, but the airlock on the bucket shows no activity either. I know I could take gravity readings, but with the visible bubbles, it is obvious something is going on. No reason to check the Gravity until the bubbles stop (IMHO). Any ideas?

First of all, the rapid bubbling usually slows or stops when initial fermentation is over. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to FG. Then I give it 3-7 days to finish & settle out clear or slightly misty. As for the myriad secondaries bubbling , they're likely off-gassing dissolved Co2 that's filling the headspace. That's a good thing.

I've had bubbles take up to 45 second or more after a couple weeks in primary. Could also be a very small air leak around the stopper/grommet. In any case don't worry about it, fermentation is done unless you're making a sour :)

The ones he said were bubbling are in small secondaries after a couple weeks. So they'd be filling the headspace with Co2. depends on how much as to getting any bubbling.

The ones he said were bubbling are in small secondaries after a couple weeks. So they'd be filling the headspace with Co2. depends on how much as to getting any bubbling.

Back when I was a youngin grandaddy always smeared a little beef tallow around the bung hole to keep them gasses from getting out. Thats an old trick he learned back during prohibition and everything I think.

What yeast did you use? I found that with my fast ferment conical fermenter that I haven't seen any airlock activity on my last two batches using liquid yeast (White Labs WLP-001 California Ale and Wyeast 1272 American Ale). Yet when I used the Safale US-05 yeast (or 04) I've seen lots of airlock activity. Thankfully I can see there is a krausen ring forming to tell me fermentation is happening with the fast ferment conical. I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of headspace and the liquid yeast sinks right away, vs the dry that sits on top for a while before it settles. Just my two cents...

The yeast was white labs 007, dry English yeast. I made a two litter starter, and primary fermentation went like gang busters, requiring a blow off tube. I hit my FG, transferred to secondary. Moved out of fermentation chamber 2 weeks ago to let the beer warm up and the yeast to finish, since then (2 weeks ago) there have been slow but very steady bubbles rising to the top of all 4 secondary fermentation containers.

just to bring this thread to a close, Unionrdr must be correct. I checked the gravity, and it has not changed in a week, so it must be just off gassing. Began cold crashing last night. Thanks for all the responses.

Back