Octoberfest Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIWI

Reaction score
I currently have a Octoberfest lagering in my fridge for the past 2 weeks. I would like to age it until September. What would be the proper or best procedure for aging? I am just getting into kegging and I was told to keg and carb it and let it sit. Looking on advice as to what the proper procedure should be for aging. Should I age in a keg or carboy? If kegged should I carbonate? Aging temperature? Is aging even necessary? Thanks for any advice.

Did a maibock earlier in the year. Kegged it and put at 34F for about two months. Started carbing about two weeks before first tap.

I currently have a Octoberfest lagering in my fridge for the past 2 weeks. I would like to age it until September. What would be the proper or best procedure for aging? I am just getting into kegging and I was told to keg and carb it and let it sit. Looking on advice as to what the proper procedure should be for aging. Should I age in a keg or carboy? If kegged should I carbonate? Aging temperature? Is aging even necessary? Thanks for any advice.
After the diacetyl rest I slowly cooled over several days to lagering temp. I set the psi on the corney then and left it alone for 2 months, tweaking temp up to about 38, like Kevin.

festbier fermentation profile.jpg

festbier cu.jpg

Looking 👍. After all the replies and discussing with my local homebrew shop I kegged and carb and stored in the kegarator until hopefully Sept. The carb was a toss up not sure if it will be ok by Sept.

Looking 👍. After all the replies and discussing with my local homebrew shop I kegged and carb and stored in the kegarator until hopefully Sept. The carb was a toss up not sure if it will be ok by Sept.
Are you going to leave gas on this until September, or are you removing the gas after carbonation?

I keg the lager with a sugar charge and let it naturally carbonate at room temperature for a couple weeks. Then into the lagering refrigerator at 34F for 90 days. I inject the kegs with gelatin around 2 months or so, timing not critical.

Put the keg on CO2, 9 lbs, 38F and tap. Start tasting at 90 days, try to age it out 6 months if you can hold back. Pull a pint to drink and evaluate every couple weeks. Let it lager.

IMG_0817.jpeg

Oktoberfest is one of my 10-gal batch brews (usually I do 5-gallon batches.) Two separate kegs, since I find myself nipping at it all summer. When September hits I find the one keg a bit low, but there is a full one ready to tap. Also my fermenters are 7g so I try different yeasts on the same batch.

Lager as long as you can.

Back