Patina on my SS Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavpilot2000

Reaction score
I apologize for no pictures, but I'm sure people will probably be able to help even without pics.

I have a nice stainless brew kettle that over time has developed an increasing patina/finish layer inside the bottom of the kettle.
It looks basically like a nickel finish rather than the nice shiny SS finish it used to have. Soaking with cleanser doesn't seem to remove it.

I know I could probably scrub it off, but I'm really curious as to what it is. It shouldn't be oxidation, since it's stainless - I am wondering if it's beer stone? I only just started using brewing salts and my water is low in calcium, which I understand is conducive to beer stone.

Thoughts?
And if it is, what is the best way to remove it? Acid? Bar Keepers Friend?

Mine also developed this over time. I think it's from when water starts to vaporize on the metal itself while boiling. I just scrup it a little with PBW and a stainless scrubber and not really worried about getting all of it shined back new again.

If it's metallic, you maybe looking at an oxide layer, probably best to leave it. But a dull grayish/tan/brownish deposit is beer stone. Polish it off with BKF and a stiff nylon brush.

Never use steel wool on SS! But ScotchBrite pads are safe.

If it's metallic, you maybe looking at an oxide layer, probably best to leave it. But a dull grayish/tan/brownish deposit is beer stone. Polish it off with BKF and a stiff nylon brush.

Never use steel wool on SS! But ScotchBrite pads are safe.

I would describe it as dull gray, like an aged nickel.

I would describe it as dull gray, like an aged nickel.

Is it an even coating or just where most of the heat is? Is it also on the sides?

I get a 6-7" gooey gray spot on the bottom where my induction plate heats, which is definitely a wort residue. I use BKF to clean that off.

here is what beer stone looks like

my HERMS coil

More brown/beige in color

PBW at triple strength at 160 F took it off

my 2 cents

coil.jpg

Pretty even and up the sides too.
Definitely not cooked-on wort residue.

I'm not sure what it is then. It could be a very thin layer of beer stone, which will become thicker with more brewing time. Most beer stone is light tan, from what I've seen.

I doubt it's harming your kettle or beer. It may be even protective. Perhaps someone else has a more educated opinion?

No, You just need to soak your kettle in some warm Star San or the other options on the link in post #7.

No, You just need to soak your kettle in some warm Star San or the other options on the link in post #7.

Cool. I actually dumped some Star san solution in my kettle this morning before I left for work today. Maybe when I get home I'll just heat it up some and see where that gets me.

Thanks.

Cool. I actually dumped some Star san solution in my kettle this morning before I left for work today. Maybe when I get home I'll just heat it up some and see where that gets me.

Thanks.

Did the Star San soak help? It would be helpful for others to know.

The hot star San soak did help quite a bit but did not completely remove it. Maybe 80%, which was good enough. I only went as hot as my tap water will go though.
I suspect if I threw it on a burner and boiled it, it would do much better.

I had a discoloration on the bottom of my SS BrewTech kettle and used Bar Keepers Friend from advice of Michael in the company.

This should take care of it... Just be careful around volume markings if you have them

Back